Monday, February 21, 2011

Sad Reality...

I ran across a person's post (let's call her by the name "pat") on twitter, telling everyone to watch this video. I became curious though and watched it, just to figure out what's in there, that she shared it to everyone.

It was named "Toughest Place to be a Bus Driver", a documentary of BBC about Rogelio Castro's life and also a challenge for Josh West, a London bus driver to live in Manila for 10 days, just to be able to learn and experience the life of a person who lives in a slum.

(This video was just the 1st of 6 parts)


I watched it for almost an hour and a half, and I am really shocked with what I saw. I am a Filipino and yet I still get confused if it really does exist. I never knew that we have soo many Slums here in our country. I've been living here for 21years and the only slummy place I'd ever saw were the one's in Libertad in Mandaluyong and the other one was the street at the back of our school, where we were asked to take a survey, adopt a family and even give a noche buena. It was a project of the school every Christmas. Their place wasn't that slum, because I've seen that they have flat screen televisions and stuff, but there were quite few though.

Anyway, I just have too many questions in my head right now, like why did it happen? who's fault is it anyway? How long they can survive it? etc...

Honestly, I don't like watching those documentaries that involved people having too much sickness, too much poverty, and too much struggle in life, because I can't help but cry. And the worst part was I can't do anything about it, I won't be able to help them, but this was different, it involves challenge and just a little struggle. Though it made me cry at some point.

Moreover, If you're going to watch this documentary, you will encounter these things that will caught your attention, since it really caught mine: (1) the way drivers drive along the road were really frightening, (2) the way they pursue getting a lot of passengers just to survive in a single day(I now understand why they were acting like that at the road: http://khukai-gossiphink.blogspot.com/2010/08/kwentong-dyip.html), (3) the way some people collect food leftovers, cook them in such way and eventually sell? it to other people, and (4) the way they live in such a small place with too many of them in that house.

As I am downloading each part of BBC's documentary, I've seen some links at the right side of youtube, some documentaries about the Philippines, and I also get interested in this video, so I clicked and watched it. The video was not that long, unlike the one I've posted in the upper part(hehe).

This tackles about abortion. The pro and the anti. And the Church and politics views. It was the entitled "Philippines-City of Guilt".

(1st of 2 parts)


Over the past years, the politicians and the church were fighting about the Reproductive Health Bill which was popularly known as RH Bill, a Philippine bill aiming to guarantee universal access to methods and information on birth and maternal care(see wikipedia). And still on the process of debate up until now.

Overpopulation was one of the major problems in our country today, which they were trying to solve by the use of a certain bill. But as for me, it's not a matter of what kind of bill it was, and what were there stand about that. What I think was the right way to solve it, was having the 'D' word, and the 'D' word that I'm talking about was "Discipline".

We were raised by our parents well. We were given proper education, proper knowledge which as we grow older get stocked in our mind. And with that knowledge we were able to know what's right or wrong and what's good or bad. And as to what was happening in our country, we know for a fact what were the problems that our generation was facing, so we know what we can do just to not add for that problem. And yet we were being eaten by "Too Much Curiosity" which itches some people to eagerly know everything. And that's wrong.

Why am I saying those things? Because I hate it when some people choose to have many children and eventually, blames poverty and the government when they struggle in their everyday living.

No comments: