Friday, January 2, 2009

Sooper delayed..hahaha

Everyone is looking forward for Christmas since it is a season of love, sharing, and giving. Countdown is really normal which starts when the so-called “ber” months come in. Months had passed and December finally came and the countdown begins that really excites people more and more. Wish lists already ready and so are the food for the Noche Buena. Godparents start to play hide and seek to their godchildren. Haha! Just kidding (but in reality, and at some point I know, I’m right).


Christmas plays a big part on everybody since it’s the birthday of our Lord Jesus Christ. And since we’re talking about Jesus Christ, let me share you a story. I attended a mass last year, 20th of December if I’m not mistaken, and the sermon really amazed me. The priest discussed about Christmas of course, but not “Christmas” the event but “Christmas” the word. He said that texting really influenced the people. Why? Because when we are texting we tend to shorten the words and when we get used to it, we almost apply it to our everyday living. So how does that relate to Christmas? Having got used to shortening words, we tend to apply it when we greet people through text, cards, emails, and gifts. We tend to write “Merry Xmas” which the priest said was very improper. Then the priest related it by talking about Mathematics; being “X” is an unknown variable – unknown meaning unfamiliar, strange, and so on. Therefore, when you use that in greeting someone, you tend to lose the real meaning of it, which is in the first six letters of the word, which is “Christ”. Amazing isn’t it? Honestly, I’m one of those people who tend to greet using the “Xmas” thing. Funny but true, thanks to my favorite priest, from then, I never tend to greet “Xmas”, since I never forget what he had told us during the mass.

No comments: